Disclosure: This post has been sponsored by Cars.com. All opinions are based on my own experiences.
Summer is right around the corner and if you are anything like me that means you’ll be spending a lot of time in your car whether you’re travelling to the beach, the park, on a family vacation, or taking day trips to soak in the sun. The last thing you want is car troubles to spoil your fun. It’s important to properly maintain your car, especially at the start of the season. You can take your car to your local mechanic or service center, or you can save yourself a few bucks if you’re the DIY type and check cars.com for some awesome tips and instructions to keep your car running smoothly. I’ve put together this simple list of things to check before hitting the road.
- Check your battery. It may need charging or replacing.
- Check all fluid levels.
- If you live where there’s snow, be sure to give your undercarriage a good cleaning from all the salt build-up.
- Check your tire pressure. Remember: Tire pressure changes with the temperatures.
- Get an oil change. You want your engine to run smoothly. Check your owner’s manual for your car to see how often you should change your oil.
- Replace Windshield Wipers and check Washer Fluid. There’s nothing worse than dirty, streaky windows in the bright summer sun.
- Check your brakes.
- Check your Air Conditioning. It’s best to have a professional do this! No one wants to be stuck in traffic with no AC!
In addition to making sure your car is properly maintained, it’s also important to pack a few things in your trunk for “just in case!” I always make sure we have a tool kit, a first aid kit, and a flashlight. Of course, you’ll want to make sure the outside of your vehicle is squeaky clean too! And last, but not least, if your precious cargo likes to destroy the inside of your vehicle, you need to check out these tips to manage a messy car.
Be safe out there!